About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Monday, June 18, 2018

2019 Calendar Week



The New England Reflections Calendar is Back !

September Setting : 2019 Cover
This has been my calendar week.  I know that it is already getting late, but over the last few days, I have been slogging my way through the tough work of planning out my 2019 Calendar, collecting and editing the images.  Hopefully I can get the final design completed the printing done by the end of this month.  Then the distribution blitz will begin.  I’m thrilled to announce that the proceeds from the 2019 will be dedicated to support the wonderful work of the Monadnock Conservancy.


The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Pasture Lane, Chesterfield NH  2020 Page
For years I sold my New England Reflections Calendars as a fundraiser, with all proceeds dedicated to providing support for the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center.  For me, Pulmonary Rehab has always occupied an important place.  Years ago, I worked to develop the program, and then served as Medical Director until my retirement. I was honored to devote the proceeds of my annual calendar to this important resource.  Over the years I was able to contribute tens of thousands of dollars to supplement the program’s offerings and to assist patients who could not afford the tuition.   Last year, the medical center decided to withdraw its support for the calendar.  I was surprised and saddened.  The news came late in the year and it forced me to miss publishing a 2018 Calendar.  I was surprised to hear of the disappointment shared by so many people who had come to depend on my calendar for their own use and as a holiday gift for family and friends. Apparently, the New England Reflections Calendar has spread appreciation of the beauty of our region across the country and throughout the globe.





Happily, I found a great non-profit organization that was excited to partner with me, The Monadnock Conservancy.

Enter the Monadnock Conservancy
Spring Rest Keene NH, April
In our corner of New Hampshire, we are fortunate to have the Monadnock Conservancy, which is a strong advocate for conservation.  As a land trust, the Conservancy “works with communities and landowners to conserve the natural resources, wild and working lands, rural character and scenic beauty of the Monadnock region”.  My photography has always focused on the beauty of New England and especially the unique attractions of the Monadnock Region.  It seemed like a perfect fit to work with the great people of the Conservancy to produce a calendar which would celebrate our region while supporting their efforts to protect its special qualities for generations to come.


Howl Against the Storm : Dummerston Vermont,   January 
I have been collecting images which I thought would work well in the 2019 calendar.  As always, I have included one image of animals and one from the seacoast, but I have tried to focus more on the Monadnock region.  Please excuse me for picking only one image from Vermont.  of









Picture Picking Agony
Full Moon Rising, Winchester NH, November
I have gone through the usual agony of picking my 12 images for next year’s ‘months”, I’ve found banner images to compliment the large monthly photos and thumbnail images to scatter through the empty date boxes.  I’ve decided on the important dates and holidays to include. I will be adding a few special dates of interest to the Conservancy, but, once again, “Belly Laugh Day” (January 24th) has failed to make the cut.    I have added the dates for the new and full moons and the traditional names given to each full moon.  In 2019 there will be no “Blue Moon” – no months when two full moons occur in the same month.

I use Microsoft Publisher to create the basic layout of the calendar, but in recent years I have come to appreciate the refinements provided by a talented graphic designer to provide a professional look to the final result. 

Sunrise Passage, Portland Me, August 
This is an exciting and anxious time as I prepare to release my creation to the final processes of design and printing.   My work is largely done.  I have asked several editors to review the text for the inevitable errors and omissions.  The pictures have all been rendered in their appropriate sizes. Next week the calendar goes to the printers and then, in a couple of weeks, the hectic process of distribution will begin.  This year, I expect a new, enthusiastic level of help from the staff and volunteers at the Conservancy.  To all those friends who were disappointed that I didn’t publish a New England Reflections Calendar for 2018, please be patient and await the 2019 edition.  I promise that it will be appreciated by all your friends and family, and again it will benefit a great cause.



In this article, I have included a few of the 2019 image selections.  You can also check out all the major images, including the cover image, in my 2019 NewEngland Reflections Calendar Gallery.  Calendars will be available in many local stores beginning later this summer, or you can always get in touch with me or the hard-working folks at the Monadnock Conservancy.






Jeffrey Newcomer

No comments:

Post a Comment