About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Upcoming Courses and Workshop, The Fall and Winter Schedule




More to Learn


It’s been a lovely summer but now it’s time to settle into planning my teaching schedule for the fall and winter. Even when the topic is one that I have presented before, preparing a course requires hours of review and organization of material.   In November, I will be offering my Introduction to Digital Photography course through Keene Community Education for the fourth time, but I am constantly modifying the material to make it more understandable and hopefully at least a little entertaining.  

PowerPoint presentations have the reputation of being dry and pedantic, with a succession of mind numbing lists of information. Lazy presenters are often satisfied with merely transporting their outlines to the screen, but photography is above all a visual topic and I try to tell my stories with pictures and as little text as possible.

Fryes Mill Falls, Wilton NH
So far, I have had no trouble finding people who are enthusiastic to learn about photography and editing.  Digital photography has expanded the availability high quality imaging, and, given the immediate feedback offered on the camera’s LCD, the ease of learning has been much improved.  These days, there is a growing number of people who want to go beyond what they can achieve with their smart phones.  They are acquiring more sophisticated cameras, including Digital SLRs,  with better control of imaging, . Many are excited to learn about what all those buttons actually do.  




  Up-coming programs include a fall foliage workshop, a general introduction to digital photograph and a course covering the image management and editing capabilities in Lightroom, a miraculous program from Adobe.   In October, I'll be starting with the foliage workshop.  I think I enjoy the workshop format best since it allows me to share the beauty that I have discovered in our remarkable corner of New England.

2017 Spring Waterfall Workshop
Next year I plan to repeat my Spring Waterfall Workshop and I will be considering other possibilities including a course covering Photoshop for Photographers and perhaps other workshops.  How about winter or night photography?

There is a lot to consider, but for now, here are the plans for the next few months.   To allow for more personal attention, I like to keep my programs small, so to assure a spot, get your requests in soon .


                             -------------------------------------------------------

Fall Foliage Weekend
October 13-15
Fortuitous Cow
This autumn, I will again be offering my Fall Foliage Weekend Workshop.  Last year we had a great time, and hopefully we will have similarly wonderful weather and color.  I will be following the same format that seemed to work well last year.  Again, I picked the weekend after the Columbus Day weekend craziness.  It is an opportunity to see great color without the same crowds that typically congest our beautiful countryside.  Our base of operations




will be around my dining room table in Spofford, NH.  I will host the participants at my home on Friday evening for snacks and a discussion about photography in general, and the specific opportunities and challenges of foliage photography.  It will also be time to plan the shooting for all day Saturday and Sunday morning.   Saturday, we will head out early to explore as many different locations as possible.  My goal. Will be to place the group in beautiful locations and then help them get the most from the opportunities. Last year, on Saturday morning, we focused on Vermont, including Guilford and the magic village of Green River. 

 

Later in the day we spent time exploring a classic farm stand in Walpole New Hampshire and ended by finding a spot to watch the full moon rise above Spofford Lake.   There will be no full moon on October 14th, but for any who want to stay late, we might see a little of the Milky Way over the lake. In the evening, we will return to the dining room table for an informal diner of pizza and some gentle critiquing of the day’s shoot

Green River Bridge, Guilford, Vermont




Grazing under Mount Monadnock
We will head out again Sunday morning for more of our exploration of color, and I will finally let people go around noon. Last year everyone seemed to come away exhausted but thrilled with the experience, and I had a great time sharing my love for photography in this special time of year. 



Fall Foliage Workshop 2016

603-363-8338  


                             -------------------------------------------------------

Introduction to Digital Photography
November 2, 9, 16, 30 
It has become an annual tradition to offer my Introduction to Digital Photography Course as part of Keene Community Ed’s fall program.  The course includes 4 classes and two photo shoots. I cover a wide range of topics from understanding the difference in camera types to, image file formats, file management and archiving. Special emphasis is placed on exposure, composition and the use of different types of light.  All these topics are applied to the results of the photo shoots.

 


The course size is limited and, if the past is any guide it tends to fill quickly.  Registration begins August 22nd can be done over the phone at 357-0088 or on-line at www.keenecommunityed.org.  Please feel free to get in touch with me for any questions.











                             -------------------------------------------------------


Introduction to Adobe Lightroom
I haven’t set the dates yet, but it will be in January and/or February.

I am a dedicated long-term user of Photoshop, but over the last few years I have become increasingly impressed with the power of Lightroom, in terms of both its image management tools and its sophisticated editing capabilities.  I still bring almost all my images into Photoshop for final tweaking, especially when complicated masking is required, but I now use Lightroom for 80-90% of my global editing.  Given its power and ease of use, for the majority of digital photography enthusiasts, Lightroom is likely all they will need to get started with image management and editing.




In response to frequent requests, I developed an introductory course covering all the essential capabilities of Lightroom.  I have offered the course three times and it has been warmly received.  I run the class as a live demonstration.  Students are encouraged to work along on their own laptops, but a computer is not necessary to benefit from the material.   I’ve had a great time and the classes.  Without the use of PowerPoint slides, presentations are much more dynamic, and, as is always true of teaching a course, I have learned a ton. I initially thought that that four, two-hour classes would be enough to cover the program's many features, but because of my tendency to ramble and lots of great questions, I have added a fifth class to cover the Slide Show, Book and Web Modules. I probably could have used more time, but I learned that 2 hours of software complexity at a time is definitely the limit for my mature students – and their teacher. 


I again will be limiting the class to the 8 people who can fit comfortably around my dining room table.  There will be five, two hour, evening sessions, and of course, snacks will be provided. The course is $195.  There are already people on the waiting list from last time, so please get in touch as soon as possible.

603-363-8338  



That is my list for now.  I am excited how, in the last couple of years, teaching has become such an important part of my photographic activities. Of course, the classes and workshops have seemed a natural extension of the teaching I have been doing for years in my weekly Getting It Right in the Digital Camera Blog.  It has been working on the blog that has expanded my knowledge to the point that feel comfortable offering my classes. I hope to get to know many more of my readers as I continue and expand my live programs.

Please get in touch if you have any questions about the up-coming classes and work-shops, or if there other topics you would like to see me cover either in a class or on the blog.  Any interest in a Photoshop Class – or classes.


Jeffrey Newcomer
partridgebrookreflections.com
603-363-8338
















No comments:

Post a Comment