About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Fallen Eagles Gallery






Over the last four years I have been privileged to have my own pair of nesting bald eagles, returning every year to hunt and breed across the Connecticut River, from my town of Chesterfield New Hampshire.  They nested at the top of an old snag at the edge of the river, from which they could swoop down on food and eject their young for their first perilous flights.  I found a spot across the river on the New Hampshire side, from which I could watch the early season nest building and the appearance of one or two fledglings.  



















This spring I was saddened to discover that the dead snag with the nest on top had fallen into the river.  As we get into the breeding season, I have been scouting up and down the river hoping that my eagles will build a new nest close to home, but, so far, I have no eagles or nests.  I will continue to patrol the river, but my loss has encouraged me to recall all the majestic beauty that I have been privileged to observe over the last four years.  I have covered this in my article for this week’s  New England Photography Blog, but here I would like to show some of the pictures of “my eagles” that didn’t fit in the NEPG article.




Photographing Bald Eagles, much like all birds, takes a great deal of patience.  Long periods of quiet nest sitting are punctuated every 40-50 minutes by the split-second excitement of a bird landing or taking off.  It is always fun to catch the eagles bringing nesting material or a morsel of food for the checks, but any excuse for them to spread their dramatic wings is exciting.








Occasionally, the interactions between the birds can be more interesting as the adults, or more mature juveniles, vie for dominance in the nest.




Enjoy the pictures in this gallery and those in my NEPG blog.  Also check out the links to other articles in my “Getting it Right in the Digital Camera Blog.  And, of course, join with me in calling my eagles home!




























Jeffrey Newcomer

No comments:

Post a Comment