About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Monadnock's Most Beautiful Road (More Photographs)

Mount Monadnock sunset
Monadnock "The Mountain That Stands Alone"
 This week's blog is actually a photo album with favorite pictures I couldn't fit in my "real" blog on the New England Photography Guild web site.  Read on to learn more, but, if you prefer, you can jump right to the article on the Guild site.  But you will miss some nice pictures from Monadnock's beautiful Route 124.

Mount Monadnock winter, Marlborough, New Hampshire
Frost Hill Road View Marlborough NH (2)
A few weeks ago I started what I plan to be a series of articles celebrating some of the best photographic locations in my region of central New England. I started with a posting about the attractions of Harrisville New Hampshire. From that blog I have been asked by New Hampshire To Do Magazine to write an article about the history of Harrisville's mill village and how a group of dedicated citizens have joined together to protect this unique treasure. The article is scheduled for the May edition.


Mount Monadnock Moonrise, Marlborough, New Hampshire
Moonrise Old Meeting House Site Marlborough (2)




Mount Monadnock through Birches, Marlborough, New Hampshire
Through Birches Old Meeting House Site
Marlborough NH (2)

This week, I want to take you to another of my favorite locations in the Monadnock region, but this time it is actually a twelve mile stretch of what I think is one of the prettiest roads around our iconic Mount Monadnock. I don't believe there is a stretch of road in this corner of New Hampshire that can match the concentration of classic New England scenes that can be found along the 12 miles of Route 124 from Marlborough to Jaffrey.
Route 124 Treasure Map
Locations Numbered on the Map
Mt. Monadnock's dramatic profile is the major attraction along the route, but the road is rich in classic historic New England architecture and pristine farmland.









Mount Monadnock Perkins Pond, East Hill Farm, Troy, New Hampshire
Monadnock Across Perkins Pond
East Hill Farm Troy NH (4)
(Not a public view)

 


Mount Monadnock,  East Hill Farm, Troy, New Hampshire
Last Cow Returns to the Barn East Hill Farm
Troy, NH (4)

The difference this week is that my travelogue about Route 124 is not here, but can be found on the New Hampshire Photography Guild blog. I have recently had the honor of being accepted into the Guild which is a small group of talented photographers who are dedicated to promoting the
Shridan's pasture, Mount Monadnock, Jaffrey New Hampshire, spring, apple blosoms
Sheridan's Pasture In Bloom
Jaffrey, NH (7)





special beauty of New England and presenting that beauty photographically in ways only artists who are part of New England can do. The members of the Guild come from all over the region and have a wide variety of photographic interests, but they all share a commitment to communication. Not surprisingly, the strongest feature of Guild's web site is the weekly blog about photography in New England.








Shridan's pasture,Jaffrey New Hampshire, spring, apple blosoms
Sheridan's Spring  Jaffrey NH (7)


Jaffrey Center Meeting House, Old Burying Ground,  New Hampshire
Jaffrey Meeting House Spire (9)
This is my turn to contribute and since I am the only member from the Monadnock region, I couldn't think of a better way to introduce myself and my region than by featuring one of the best roads that can be explored to appreciate our signature landmark, Mount Monadnock, the "Mountain that Stands Alone".

 




Old Burying Ground Jaffrey Center NH (9)



My article is titled, unashamedly, Mount Monadnock's Most Photogenic Road, and while you are there check out the long list of fascinating contributions from other Guild members.



pasture to Mount Monadnock, Jaffrey, New Hampshire


The number of images I could use on this post was limited so Guild member Liz Mackney suggested that I should use my personal blog to show a few more angles on this great route.   You can also see more images on my Route 124 Flickr Set.  I have been exploring Route 124 for years. It is one of my favorite "Go To" places and it never disappoints. So check out the article, but more importantly, check out the road. I can't wait to find out what new perspectives you discover along the way.


Jaffrey Civic Center Gallery (11)
My April 2011 Show


Back to : Mount Monadnock's Most Photogenic Road

New England Photography Guild Link
New England Photography Guild


Jeffrey Newcomer
Partridgebrookreflections.com


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jeff for sharing your little piece of Heaven with us. I hope to get up to your neck of the woods one of these days, and will be sure to visit this route when I do. Also, congratulations on being accepted to the NE Photographers Guild. Thank you for sharing the website. I have put it into my "favorite Places" and will be visiting regularly.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete