About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Chocolate and Photography



This week I engage in shameless self-promotion, but with a delicious altruistic consequence.  For the month of December I will be showing 12 of my photographs at the wonderful LA Burdick Restaurant in picturesque Walpole New Hampshire.  I have chosen a combination of local landscapes and Altlantic seacoast images.  I have shown at Burdick several times before and although the lighting is not the best, I am always excited to be there.  Among the reasons for my enthusiasm unquestionably the most important is that it gives me an excuse to dine at this top quality restaurant.  L.A. Burdick Started in 1984 as a fine chocolate company and has expanded to include 3 French style cafe restaurants now in Walpole NH, Cambridge Ma and New York city. Chocolate remains a key
part of their attraction and the desserts continue to die for. 
























Among the variety of locations to display my work, restaurants offer both advantages and challenges. Perhaps the greatest advantage is that restaurant customers linger substantially longer than those visiting bank lobbies, town offices or hospital waiting rooms.  Hopefully, as conversation wanes, they will gaze up to the walls and be enchanted - one can only hope.  The major disadvantage is that it seems that, the nicer the restaurant, the dimmer the lights.  Why is it that elegant restaurants insist on hiding their exquisitely prepared and presented dishes under impenetrable darkness.  Low, candle augmented,  illumination may be romantic, but it would be nice to be able to see where to stick my fork on the plate and I would especially like to be able to appreciate the glorious artwork on the walls.  I have found a few restaurants that have discovered that tasteful wall lighting can enhance and balance the ambiance without distracting from the tables.  Simple lighting systems are not prohibitively expensive and I will continue to encourage the light.





Enough complaining.  I am grateful to have the chance to show my work in so many lovely places in the area.  I always pay special attention to my location this time of year.  Hopefully a few folks will find the perfect Christmas gift while having a superb dinner.   Come by if you are in the area. 

Check out my show Flickr Set: 

No comments:

Post a Comment