About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Welcome








I have been considering starting a blog for some time with the intention of sharing my photographic experiences focusing on the Monadnock region and Southern Vermont. My reluctance has come from a number of sources including: 1) I have a general resistance to the process of describing a visual art. The usual vocabulary often seems pretentious and inflated. Although I think I have come to understand a few aspects of good composition, my reasons for being drawn to a particular scene are not always clear to me and I feel self-conscious trying to express them. My usual approach is to try to find good light shining on an interesting scene and then start looking for the solution to the multi-faceted puzzle which will eventually yield the best image. 2) I question whether I will have the time or inclinations to keep up with a blog. I’m always falling behind in processing my images, do I really need one more thing to do! 3) I’m not a big reader of Blogs. Why would anyone want to read mine?

Ok, why am I doing it. First from a personal perspective, I hope the Blog will help me keep track of my work and force a more objective perspective on what I am trying to do. I hope that the process will improve my ability to talk about my photography. Writing is an important part of what a photographer must do and I need to find a style which will allow me to communicate my vision without feeling too “pretentious and inflated”. In talks I have given about my work I have enjoyed telling the stories that are connected to many of my favorite images. For me the details about the photo shoot “Treasure Hunt” are as exciting as the actual images. The locations I have discovered, the history I’ve learned and the people I have met constitute some of the greatest rewards of landscape photography. Hopeful I can share some of that excitement. Ideally this Blog will also serve as a forum to share information about this special and often under-appreciated corner of New England. Tips for new locations and new perspectives can help us all.

I think I’ve said enough. This Blog will become what it will become and it will probably have very little to do with what I say at the beginning. And it would appear that I am already becoming pretentious and inflated.

You can view some of my work on my web site:

Or a bit less formally on my F'ickr account at:

1 comment:

  1. In this modern era these digital updates are really a source of help for many readers. Specially the tips shared are important. Upload some more articles soon. Now have some updates on buyers products online.

    ReplyDelete