About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

If It Is September, I Must Be Late With The Calendar, Again

2013 New England Reflections Cover

 The Naked Trees of New England
Village Church, Spofford, NH
I have been publishing a calendar to benefit my Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Cheshire Medical Center in Keene New Hampshire for 7 years. You would think, after all this time, that I would have it all figured out by now, but no. I have improved in my ability to select images for the calendar and to put together the draft for the printers, but I have NEVER been able to get the thing done by a reasonable time. The Calendar selling season starts no later than the summer of the year before. It is important to get your edition out early, since once people buy a calendar, they are not inclined to buy another. The market has become tougher as more people are publishing calendars for all sorts of causes and too many of them share a similar theme; “The Naked People of ………”, insert : Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Public Library, Joe’s Garage or the Ladies Book Club”. Despite the fact that most of these contain pictures that you would not normally want to behold, the local attraction is undeniable. How can my pictures of "naked" trees possibly compete. My only chance is to get my New England Reflections Calendar out early and that is something that I have never been able to do.


Dummerston Covered Bridge, November

Cathedral Farm, July


Just Out of  Reach, August
Part of the problem this year was our extended August trip out west. It was amazing, but I had a lot of catching up to do when we got back. Well, a couple of weeks of intense work, and the calendar is at press. I'm trying a new local printer this year and, if the product is as nice as the people it should be great. I hope to start the task of promotion and distribution in a couple of weeks. I have blogged about the process of calendar making before, but this week I thought I would preview some of the featured images for an early reaction. Remember it is for a great cause, so once again, your only question should be, "How many calendars do I need this year".


Portland Head Dawn, September

Next week I will be doing another double blog. It is my turn for an article on the New England Photography Guilds site. I plan to celebrate my favorite local farms and suggest that you should, photographically, adopt your own. As before, I will supplement that article with more images, here, on my personnel blog.

Feeding Time, Roads End Farm, Chesterfield, NH

I am excited and surprised to discover that next week will see my hundredth blog article. I am amazed that I, somehow, came up with 100 photographic things to talk about and astounded a few people actually wanted to read what I had to offer. More about that on blog #101, including a name change. No, I am not going fulfill my promise to add "naked women" to every title, but I DID manage to slip "naked" in here. Four times! Watch the visits soar!

No comments:

Post a Comment