About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Foliage Scouting



Red Bend, Guilford Vermont


Green River Falls, Guilford Vermont
I’ve completed my Fall Foliage Weekend Workshop for another year.  This is the third annual event and as always it was beautiful, exciting, and exhausting.  I’ll assemble pictures from the Saturday and Sunday shooting for a future blog, but, for me, the workshop extends beyond the time spent with my group over the weekend.  Every year the colors vary, and every year I spend several days prior to the weekend scouting for the best colors and locations.  

Jelly Mill Cascade, Guilford Vermont
Within southern Vermont and the Monadnock region I have my favorite spots.  I love taking the group through Vermont to Guilford and especially the quintessential New England village of Green River. 



I usually tour Vermont on Saturday and then discover opportunities around Mount Monadnock on Sunday.  All these plans are dependent on the state of the color, and this year I had the joy of doing my own wandering through the back roads before the big weekend. 


  
I include here a brief collection of some of the images I gathered along the way.  During my workshops I do some shooting, but much of my time is spent working with the participants to get the best images possible.  The good news is that, by the end, the group is much more comfortable using their equipment and finding their own unique vision.  They have less need for my hovering attentions.  This gives me a little time to shoot on my own, but it is during the days of scouting that I have the most time to capture my own images.



Scouting

The Week of Scouting 


Miniwawa Brook, Keene
On Monday I explored locations north of Keene, including Surry and Walpole.  Conditions were overcast, but I found friendly cows and a classic sugar shack.  Tuesday was devoted to my last class for my Introduction to Digital Photography Course.  I had a great group of students who were excited to learn about the opportunities of digital imaging.


Walpole Sugar Shack

To Vermont

Marshmallow Pasture
On Wednesday, I spent much of my time in Vermont driving through Guilford, checking out the fields of “Marshmallows”, and colorful Broad Brook on my way to magical Green River. 







Broad Brook
I was encouraged by the state of the color and the flow in the streams.  I have visited Green River many times.  I always find the experience magical, but I still get confused by the roads that intersect at the covered bridge.  Once again, I managed to get a bit lost.  Getting lost is always a great way to find new and interesting shots, but it is not what you want to do while leading a workshop.  I was glad to get rid of my befuddlement before the weekend. 


East Branch of the North River, Halifax Vermont



The Rain
Thursday the rains came and with the damp came the worry that the foliage would be washed away.  I think there was some increase in the drops, but fortunately there was little wind and the damage was minimal.  Exploring down Route 124 in Marlborough and Jaffrey, I found the color reasonably holding up.  

Friday was spent getting ready for the evening “meet and greet”, and the slide show around our dining room table.  It was a time to discuss the special challenges and opportunities of autumn photography in various weather.  Everyone seemed to have their equipment together.  We decided to meet at my house at 8 AM ready for our first day of exploration. More on this to come.

The Girls

The time spent searching for color proved to be helpful in planning interesting locations over the weekend and it also gave me the chance to do more of my own autumn shooting. As always I have a pile of images which will keep me busy editing through the dark dismal November stick season.

Fall Foliage Workshop 2018


Jeff Newcomer, NEPG
www.partridgebrookreflections.com





No comments:

Post a Comment