About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Monday, September 4, 2017

Art in the Park 2017, Rain and Shine






Partially Packed for Friday Night

It is Labor Day Weekend, which means Art in the Park.  This is my one art show for the year.  The one time when I drag out my 10x10 pop-up tent and struggle to remember how I’m supposed to suspend my improvised hanging system.  








Ashuelot River Falls in the Rain

It is a long chore that is followed by hours of sitting while the multitudes wander in and out passing judgement on my work and, happily, occasionally buying some of it.



It is also the time when, instead of writing my blog, I am stuck In my tent.  So, this week, you get a short article about the  being stuck in my tent.









Aaron, My most loyal student

The annual Keene Art in the Park is organized by the Monadnock Area Artists Association and attracts a remarkably varied collection of artists from throughout New England.  Nearly 90 artists showcase a broad range of genre, including, oil, water color and pencil fine art, as well as  sculpture, and fabric art.  There was even some nice photography scattered about.



I have been participating in Art in the Park for years, primarily to show my work to my neighbors, but I also get enough sales to make the weekend financially worthwhile.  



Hanging the Art : Elegant System ?

The set-up is always a chore.  The Easy-Up pop-up tent is a marvel of engineering.  It really does pop up quickly, creating the standard 10 x 10 enclosure.  The difficult part is setting up the hanging racks that I have created from metal shelving attached vertically to wood strips.  It isn’t elegant but it was a lot less expensive than most of the fancy display systems.





Saturday, Beautiful and Busy



Everything Under Cover

Over the years I have been undeservedly luck with excellent early autumn weather.  It has generally been seasonably warm and sunny, and, most importantly, no rain.  That is until this year.  Saturday was beautifully sunny and cool, but on Sunday my luck finally ran out. 








Excitement of the Show

 Hurricane Harvey, which hammered the Texas coast, had lost most of its fury, but enough remained to anoint us with bands of rain on Sunday.  Happily the wind was gone and we were able to pull much of my work under the pop-up.  Surprisingly a few people actually came out to view the art, but much of Sunday was spent commiserating with the other poor artists as we huddled in our little tents.



Sunday, Rain and Solitude



Damp Oak Leaves on the Tent

Despite the rain, it was a successful weekend and, perhaps most importantly, I was able to get my pictures home without significant water damage.  It will take awhile to dry out the tent before I pack it away for another year.  




And tomorrow I will be hanging a show at Brewbakers coffee shop in downtown Keene.  The “Showing the Work” never ends.  And don't forget the Fall Foliage Workshop coming up October 13th -15th.  There are still a couple of spots left. 









Jeffrey Newcomer

603-363-8338

No comments:

Post a Comment