About Me

My photo
Spofford, New Hampshire, United States
Jeff Newcomer had been a physician practicing in New Hampshire and Vermont for over 30 years. Over that time, as a member of the Conservation Commission in his home of Chesterfield New Hampshire, he has used his photography to promote the protection and appreciation of the town's wild lands. In recent years he has been transitioning his focus from medicine to photography, writing and teaching. Jeff enjoys photographing throughout New England, but has concentrated on the Monadnock Region and southern Vermont and has had a long term artistic relationship with Mount Monadnock. He is a featured artist in a number of local galleries and his work is often seen in regional print, web publications and in business installations throughout the country. For years Jeff has published a calendar celebrating the beauty of The New England country-side in all seasons. All of the proceeds from his New England Reflections Calendar have gone to support the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at the Cheshire Medical Center. Jeff has a strong commitment to sharing his excitement about the special beauty of our region and publishes a blog about photography in New England.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tangible Art, Showing Prints of Your Photographs



My Window on the Art Walk
 Celebrating Art in Keene and Beyond




Making prints of your best images is a great way to take full control over how your photographs are viewed.  Finding good locations to show the work is often a challenge, but sometimes you may have more opportunities than you can handle.

I was reviewing the pictures that are posted on my web site and counted nearly 3000 images, mostly of New England, but also beyond. A lot of pictures, but only a tiny fraction of all the images



Keene's Central Square
that I have captured over the years. This ridiculous abundance of imagery could only be practical in the digital age, but I still love the print. Today photographers have many ways to show their work. On line galleries, email, Facebook, Google +, 500 pics and many more, but there is still something special about holding a physical print in your hands. Print making is a whole separate art, requiring time and attention to an often confusing array of details. Ink and paper choices, color space, and soft proofing are just a few of the challenges, but for me the opportunity to bring my work to printed form is well worth the demands. It is only with a physical print that I can be sure that my work will be presented precisely as I had visualized. Online images are always seen through the filter of someone else's monitor and color space, and magazine and ad publications are always a compromise. So I have worked to make printing a part of my process.  Great, now that I have all these prints, where can I show them? My work can often be seen on my walls at home or littering my office and exam rooms, but this weekend offered a special opportunity set my babies free. It was nearly too much of a good thing.





The Art Walk
 Keene, New Hampshire's Annual Art walk began this weekend.


Keene's Wide Main Street
Keene has a famously beautiful main street, and is recognized as one of the widest in the country. The tree-line boulevard is home to interesting stores, cafes and restaurants and is capped by its, beyond classic, commons. Our Central Square is actually a circle which features stately trees, a fountain, a lovely Gazebo and, of course, the ubiquitous Civil War statue. The spot is so perfectly New England that it was chosen as the set for the idealic town in Robin William's movie Jumangi. Don't worry, the rampaging monkeys are gone.




Pocket Full of Rye
 On any day, Keene's Main Street is a treasure, but for one week every spring the downtown turns into an expansive strolling art gallery. For this week the local businesses surrender their windows to local artists. The range of art is always amazing, including, painting, sculpture, wood working, weaving and of course, marvelous photography (me). What better way to spend a warm evening than to stroll among the art and then settle in to an outdoor table for a relaxing dinner at one of the many downtown restaurants. Not surprisingly I will be displaying my photographs at the Pocket Full of Rye. I am lucky to be a regular at this great shop, but the Art Walk gives me a chance to display some new work in a featured location. Come by and check it out. 






Ann At Pocket Full of Rye

Prime Roast Show

Actually the Art Walk is just part of a very busy weekend for me. Friday morning I had to take down a show at Kristen's Bakery in the morning and then set up my window at Pocket Full of Rye in the afternoon. Early Saturday morning I hung a month long show in Prime Roast Cafe on the other side of main street. Close to Central Square, Prime Roast is a peaceful and inviting refuge from the bustle of downtown Keene. The display walls are equipped with an easy hanging system and are nicely illuminated. It's great to have two wonderful places to hang. It is always about showing the work, but times like this can get a bit crazy. The big challenge was to find the work to display. I produced 8 new prints to show at the Art Walk, but with 16 pictures there and 10 at Prime Roast, I felt a bit stretched. Oh, and on Saturday afternoon, I brought 10 coastal pictures to a new gallery in Salem, MA. 



One wall at Prime Roast Cafe




Four Corners of New England Gallery
The Four Corners of New England Gallery has been created by



Setting Up at the Four Corners of New England Gallery
fellow New England Photography Guild member Jeff Folger. Jeff and his wife Lisa have taken the commercial leap with a small gallery which will feature the photography of the members of the New England Photography
Guild. Many of the Guild members have already contributed some amazing work and
Jeff Folger in Front of One of My Pictures
the place is distended to become THE place for classic New England photography.  I thought it would be the perfect place to show some of my Atlantic Coast images.   Although there is still some work to be done, the gallery opened on Saturday. It should be an essential stop on any tour of historic Salem. 









Historic Salem
 



The friendship of Salem, Massachusetts


Sun Through the Rigging
The gallery is nicely located along the Salem waterfront, near the Old Custom House and close to the Friendship of Salem, a faithfully reconstructed 3 masted East Indiaman originally built in 1791. On Saturday, the light was harsh, but I love shooting images of the tangle of rigging in old sailing ships, and this was a great opportunity.


 It takes great faith and considerable guts to commit to a "bricks and Mortar" gallery, but if anybody can make it work, it will be Jeff and Lisa. I'm just grateful for another wonderful place to show my tangible work. 






 



Customs House Eagle, Salem, Ma.



Check out the work:

No comments:

Post a Comment